The history of ship transport in Brno
The idea of using the surface of the valley reservoir on the River Svratka at Kníničky for recreational ship transport was born in the 1930s, even before the reservoir had been completed. Ship transport was launched on 5th May 1946 on the Bystrc – Kozí horka – Sokolské outdoor pool – Osada – Rokle – Obora – Zouvalka – Veveří Castle line and back. The route was then gradually extended to Mečkov and to Veverská Bítýška in 1948 and 1949.
One characteristic feature of ship transport at Brno Reservoir is the fact that it is powered by electricity. This is of considerable environmental importance as an effective measure against polluting the reservoir for Brno with oil products and contributes to keeping the air clean and keeping the noise down in this recreational district of Brno.
The origins of the marina for ship transport at the reservoir were very humble indeed. In fact, ships and boats were attended to and built more or less in the open air in the first year of operation. A wooden hangar and several smaller wooden buildings were constructed in 1947, allowing at least some work to be carried out indoors.
After a period of initial prosperity and gradual decline during the 1960s, everything then began to become more stable. However, it became obvious that the fleet of ships and the temporary wooden buildings were getting old. So it was that general reconstruction of the premises got underway in 1978, with two brick hangars been built by 1985. General repairs and modernisation of several ships were also carried out during the 1980s. A steel operations and administration building for ship transport was then built in 1995, a structure whose shape and colour combine to symbolise a ship. The fleet currently consists of the smaller, single-deck ship known as Brno and five larger, twin-deck ships called Stuttgart, Dallas, Leipzig, Utrecht and Vienna.